Applications Open for Class of 2023 at Kentucky Governor’s School for the Arts | New
The Kentucky Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is now accepting applications for the Class of 2023. The program, a tuition-free, three-week immersive arts education experience, opens doors to a variety of scholarship opportunities and will celebrate its 36th year next summer.
Each summer, the GSA welcomes talented high school students from across the Commonwealth for an immersive, tuition-free three-week residential program on a college campus. During this program, student artists engage in studies in nine disciplines: architecture and design; creative writing; Dance; Drama; Film and Photography; instrumental music; Musical theatre; visual art; and vocal music. Recent funding from the Kentucky Department of Education allowed the GSA to grow from 256 students to over 500 students.
Applications opened on October 6 and will remain open until January 8, 2023. Any graduate student in the state of Kentucky can apply.
Acceptance into the GSA program is competitive. Applicants are scored on their creative potential and passion and the application does not request GPA or SAT/ACT scores. There is a $30 registration fee for the GSA Summer Program, which is waived for students receiving a free or reduced lunch.
To guide students, families, and educators through the application process, the GSA will host a series of informational webinars. All webinars are free, but registration is required. Each session will be recorded and made available afterwards.
The “GSA 101 Webinars” will take place from September 29 to December 29. 1. GSA 101 provides an overview of the summer program, application process, and alumni benefits. Opportunities to attend this webinar include:
• November 14 – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT
• December 1 at 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT
The “Meet Your Adjudicators” webinars will be held from October 17 to November 18. These free webinars will include conversations with referees in each art form discussing what they look for in GSA candidates. These webinars will include:
• Instrumental Music – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT, October 17;
• Creative Writing – 6:15 p.m. ET/5:15 p.m. CT, October 19;
• Dance – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT, October 25;
• Musical Theater – 7:30 p.m. ET/6:30 p.m. CT, October 26;
• Vocal Music – 6:15 p.m. ET/5:15 p.m. CT, November 1;
• Drama – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m., November 2;
• Architecture and Design – 6:15 p.m. ET/5:15 p.m. CT, November 3;
• Visual Arts – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m. CT, November 7; and
• Film and photography – 5 p.m. ET/4 p.m., November 10.
For more information on the program, webinars and application process, visit, www.kentuckygsa.org.